Walk completed August 16, 2014

Monday, August 11, 2014

August 10, 2014 -- Thames Barrier, 5 miles

The sun came out long enough on Sunday afternoon to induce me to walk to the Thames Barrier, the official start/finish of the Thames Path. The Thames Barrier is the world’s largest moveable sea wall, and is designed to close off the River Thames from the storm tides that would otherwise cause disastrous flooding upstream. As I reached the Barrier, the rain started again, but I ducked inside a small cafĂ© for a coke and sandwich, and waited out the squall.



 
 

After the rain stopped, I followed the Thames Path to the O2 – a combination entertainment center and shopping mall located at the north end of the Greenwich peninsula. The roof of the structure appears to be a canvas tent.  Intrigued, I wandered around inside, but except for its circular footprint, the O2 was just a typical shopping mall with the usual upscale chain restaurants.

 


Adjacent to the O2 is the Emirates Air Line, a cable car system spanning the River Thames. I wasn’t inclined to ride the cable car any more than I was inclined to eat in a high-priced restaurant, so I returned to my hotel.

 


Just as I walked in the door, my phone rang. It was Ben, who lives a few blocks from my hotel. I first met Ben on Offa’s Dyke Path 3 years ago, and Janet and I had dinner with him the following year. Ben and his wife, Emma, invited me to have dinner at their home. It was a pleasant conclusion to the day.



© 2014 Ken Klug

1 comment:

  1. Figured Emirates would have themselves a spot there too! Very interesting structure.

    ReplyDelete