Walk completed August 16, 2014

Sunday, August 17, 2014

Saturday, August 16, 2014 -- Epilogue

“… more chairs. I don’t need any more chairs. I don't need...”

“Ken, you’re talking in your sleep again,” I heard a familiar voice say.

I slowly opened my eyes to realize I was in my easy chair, surrounded by familiar trappings.  Looking out our living room window I could see the red rock walls of southern Utah. An unfolded map was lying on the floor next to my chair.

“I must have been dreaming,” I said to Janet. “It all seemed so real. King Arthur called, and I went to England for the summer. There were rivers and canals, old pubs and old trains, and some friends. Richard Davies and Ben Page, who I met in 2011 on the Offa’s Dyke Path, were there. So was Jack Frost, and he and Daryl May both sent boats to give me a lift. A U.S. Marine was there, and lifted my spirits. I made new friends, too. It was hot, and hardly ever rained. It seemed like I was really there.”
“Of course it’s hot,” replied Janet, “you live in the desert and you’ve been home all summer. You can't go anywhere, especially England, until you get your passport renewed. It expired in 2012, remember? Get your passport renewed, and maybe you can go to England next summer.”

“Next summer? No, I guess not. The real thing could never be as wonderful as the dream I just had. ”
“Well, you can think about that later. In the meantime, we’re having guests for dinner tonight, and you still haven’t brought in those three extra chairs from the garage like I asked.”

 “Oh, right.  The chairs.”








© 2014 Ken Klug

5 comments:

  1. What a nice ending! And now you realize it was all a dream, you'll be able to do it for real?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is, indeed, quite striking how quickly one adjusts to home. Just when there seemed no other existence than booting up, walking 15 miles in the sun or the rain, and arriving at yet-another overnight place to write your blog . . . suddenly, it's all over and becomes simply recollection. Thank goodness for the photographs and words that bring it back - to the extent they can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing dream, one we all got to share with you. Back to the real hot stuff now, you better get those chairs Janet asked for before she smacks you upside the head 😱😜 Nice to have you back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A mutual friend once wrote about LEJOG, "Don't let your dreams die on your pillow." His wisdom guides me and I have enjoyed following you. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your blog again, Ken. Stumbled on it by accident while looking for the right trail for a weeks hiking. Haven't decided which one I will do, Cotswold, Ridgeway or South Downs. But your blog helped me to get an insight on the last.

    ReplyDelete