Walk completed August 16, 2014

Friday, August 8, 2014

August 7, 2014 -- Day 53, Dryhill, 8 miles

I’ve been mailing my duffel and maps ahead to various destinations so I wouldn’t be carrying items I don’t need en route. Now that I’m nearing the end of the walk, I can no longer mail those things ahead, so starting tomorrow I’ll be carrying an additional five pounds. In order to ensure that tomorrow’s walk isn’t plagued by the fits and starts I’ve recently experienced, I did a reconnaissance walk to tomorrow’s destination today. The route was clear, and if no trees blow down overnight, I shouldn’t have any difficulty tomorrow.

Surprisingly on a minor footpath, I met two walkers, Kevin and Rob. We had a nice discussion while we walked together for about 15 minutes until they turned off heading to Sundridge, while I continued on past Dryhill to meet up with the A25 road.


Kevin and Rob

After familiarizing myself with tomorrow’s route, I returned by a different route, resulting in an eight-mile loop, all on forested footpaths. Well, I did walk through the villages of Sundridge and Brasted long enough to pass by a restaurant, and have a pizza for lunch.


 
 
Yesterday afternoon, a major electronic failure at a relay station in Westerham knocked out all landline phone and internet connections in this area. The provider says it will be 3 to 5 days before service is restored. The lady who runs the B&B is beside herself because she can’t receive phone calls or emails from prospective guests, so my delay in posting today’s walk to the blog is minor in comparison.

 






© 2014 Ken Klug

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the 3rd world country, ooups, wait, you are in England! This sort of thing only happen Mauritius......so I thought! Hopefully you have clear paths all the way to the end.
    Have a great week end.

    ReplyDelete